'Mother of all bombs' kills at least 90 IS militants in Afghanistan

The number of militants killed after the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the USA military was dropped in Afghanistan has risen to 94.

Inamullah Meyakhil, spokesman for the central hospital in eastern Nangarhar province, said the facility had received no dead or wounded from the attack.

The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb - dubbed the "Mother Of All Bombs" - was unleashed in combat for the first time, hitting ISIS positions in eastern Nangarhar province on Thursday.

As per a report of AFP, which quoted Afghanistan government officials, the death toll of Islamic State terrorists, in US MOAB air strike, has hiked to 90. A statement released Friday through ISIS' media wing, Amaq News Agency, said none of the terror group's fighters were killed or injured.

The GBU-43B, referred to as the "mother of all bombs", targeted an ISIS tunnel complex in Nangarhar's Achin district, where the group has been operating for about two years.

A U.S. official who monitored the recent attack which saw one of the biggest conventional bombs ever to be used in combat - said it was impossible to determine how many fighters might be buried underground. Shinwari said no civilian casualties were inflicted as civilians living in the area of the bombing had been evacuated by the Afghan military.

Security experts say ISIS had built their redoubts close to civilian homes, but the government said thousands of local families had already fled the area in recent months of fighting.

'It was the right time to use it tactically against the right target on the battlefield'.

Trump inaugural committee announces record-breaking fundraising haul
Corporations, barred by federal law from donating to campaigns, can underwrite the costs of inaugural festivities. There are also few restrictions on where any leftover money might go after an inauguration, Fischer said.

"This weapon was very effective in that use, and our soldiers on the ground - our Afghan commandos, our special forces - are on the site now and the weapon achieved its intended goal", he said at a press conference.

President Trump called the operation "very, very successful mission".

This comes as the Afghan forces conducted counter-terrorism operations in the restive districts of Nangarhar under the Hamza operations launched almost two weeks ago.

"This was the right weapon against the right target", Gen. John Nicholson, commander for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said at a news conference.

However, former Afghan president Hamiz Karzai condemned the attack, saying that the United States was using their soil to test weapons.

Residents in Afghan villages near the target area felt Thursday's powerful strike.

But the 21,000 pound bomb, equivalent to 11 tons of TNT, did damage to areas more than one mile away from the blast zone.

Related news